Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Golden Rules of Troubleshooting

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 20:31:53 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 18:31:14 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Sometimes I would make notes on the copies and leave them in the electrical
cabinet, or just write inside the cabinet with a marking pen.

What? You don't like my method of documenting changes?
http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/k6bj/K6BJ%20Repeater/slides/Documentation.html
I think it's been like that since at least 2001.

ha. Love the metal can transistor diagram. At least these aren't drawn on
paper bags or cardboard and then thrown away.

That scribbling wasn't one of mine. I usually draw an isometric
scribbling of the transistor or IC so that one can tell if it's a top
or bottom view. I think the red markings on the various drawings are
mine. Red is useful because it disappears when copied.

Incidentally, I use a special ink for the purpose, that fades to
invisibility in about a year. It helps keep the manuals nice and
clean.

They should make heated pens for writing on thermal paper.

Ummm... They do. It's called a soldering iron. However, there's a
trick to using a soldering iron for writing. Be sure to grab the
correct end of the soldering iron. The rest is self evident and easy.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D