Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How hot do 45A isolators run under full sustained load?

(Spun off from Chris' thread).

Just noticed my water heater isolator (about 45A load) gets rather warm
after 15-30 mins of operation.

Tightened the terminals - but it seems to be the switch element - the
toggle base gets to perhaps 40-50C by feel. Never noticed before because
I'd never really gone around feeling shower/water isolators under high
sustained loads!

Personally I'd expect a simple switch to be stone cold even under
permanent full load.

Is this reasonable - or time to replace? It's a GET plate - only 6 years
old.

Cheers,

Tim