Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Just bought house with 1,000 gallon propane tank (is this normal?)

On 12/18/2015 02:42 AM, wrote:
Generally, only older kitchen ranges might leak a little gas from the
pilot lights. But it's very little. Actually, in the summer, I turn off
my range pilot lights to eliminate that extra heat in the house and to
save gas.

I only have the pilot on the top burners and not the oven. Sometimes in
the summer when the windows are open it will blow out. If I'm not using
the stove it can take a day or two before there's enough concentration
to smell, let alone be a problem.

I turn the furnace pilot off in the summer. On warm days the pilot can
heat the furnace up enough that it triggers the fan sensor. No harm
except the fan sounds like a 727 taking off.