Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Just bought house with 1,000 gallon propane tank (is thisnormal?)

On 12/18/2015 01:04 AM, M. Stradbury wrote:
So, I guess, if the gas runs out, the only problem is that the pilot
goes out, so, we'd simply turn off the big red knob.

Is that correct?

Yes. My furnace has three positions on the knob, off, on, and pilot. To
light it, you turn the know to pilot. There's a notch at that location
that allows you to push down a button and then light the pilot. Hold it
for about 30 seconds to heat the thermocouple, and then turn it to the
on position.

On a new setup, the lines are filled with air, so it can take a while to
purge out the air. Turning the burners on the range helps bleed it out.

It's a lot safer today when a lot of appliances have electronic ignition
rather than pilot lights that were always lit.