Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Just bought house with 1,000 gallon propane tank (is thisnormal?)

On 12/17/2015 11:19 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

It's my understanding that the tank isn't filled

all the way because room in the tank is needed for
the liquid propane to evaporate into gas

CY: The extra space is for hot days when the liquid
expands. If it expanded "too much", the pressure
relief vent would release liquid propane. Which would
vaporize rapidly, and create a fire hazzard.

and the gas, not liquid propane is what is fed into
the home. The higher the demand for propane gas from
a tank, the more surface area is needed inside the
tank thus a larger tank is needed.

CY: What's more an issue is how much liquid and
steel is there to provide heat for the boiling
liquid. Also the temperature of the air around the
tank, and the surface of the tank to absorb heat.

That's why you can't run a large furnace from a
20 pound cylinder. The liquid in the small tank
can't boil into gas fast enough to supply the
furnace with enough gas except for testing. (ヅ)

CY: I've run a furnace from a 20 pounder in the
winter. It can be done. The tank doesn't last
very long.

[8~{} Uncle LP Monster

CY: The heating and AC guy who's helped friends
out when they ran out of LP.

--
..
Christopher A. Young