Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Just bought house with 1,000 gallon propane tank (is this normal?)

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 03:42:26 -0600, wrote:

Generally, only older kitchen ranges might leak a little gas from the
pilot lights. But it's very little. Actually, in the summer, I turn off

Absolutely. Even my mother, who worried about a lot of things, wasn't
worried when the pilot light went off. When we smelled the gas, she
relit the pilot. Most noses are very sensitive and it takes barely
anything to smell the natural gas. ... Isn't propane the same way?

Of course were were home 351 days a year. If she'd been away for a
week and the smell was stronger than 6 hours of pilot leakage, she
probably would have opened the windows and waited for it to air out.

my range pilot lights to eliminate that extra heat in the house and to
save gas. This is partly because I cook outdoors on my grill more than
indoors in hot weather. Pilot lights are really not needed on ranges.
Just keep a cig lighter next to the stove, and use that to ignite the
flame. But some people seem to want everything "instant on". To me,
stuff like that is insignificant. So it takes me an extra 5 seconds to
flick my bic... Who cares.