Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default Just bought house with 1,000 gallon propane tank (is this normal?)

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 08:04:45 -0000 (UTC), "M. Stradbury"
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 22:50:40 -0700, rbowman wrote:

The pilot lights go out. For furnaces and so forth once the pilot is out
the valve should shut off until you relight the pilot. I have a gas
range where the pilot would continue to leak gas until it's lit. No big
deal since the flow is so low.

This house has no pilots other than, I guess, the hot water heater.
The gas stove & the gas fireplace is electrically ignited.
So is the furnace.
I think the hot water heater has the typical big red knob & pilot light.

So, I guess, if the gas runs out, the only problem is that the pilot
goes out, so, we'd simply turn off the big red knob.

Is that correct?

You dont even have to turn that off. Once the flame goes out, the
thermocouple prevents gas from coming out the pilot light. But when you
re-light the pilot, you need to turn that big red knob to OFF, then to
PILOT, and when that's lit, turn it to ON.

Generally, only older kitchen ranges might leak a little gas from the
pilot lights. But it's very little. Actually, in the summer, I turn off
my range pilot lights to eliminate that extra heat in the house and to
save gas. This is partly because I cook outdoors on my grill more than
indoors in hot weather. Pilot lights are really not needed on ranges.
Just keep a cig lighter next to the stove, and use that to ignite the
flame. But some people seem to want everything "instant on". To me,
stuff like that is insignificant. So it takes me an extra 5 seconds to
flick my bic... Who cares.