Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default Just bought house with 1,000 gallon propane tank (is this normal?)

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 04:47:58 -0000 (UTC), "M. Stradbury"
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 18:24:09 -0600, Paintedcow wrote:

If the tank does go empty, DONT TELL THEM THAT AT THE OFFICE.
The same guy always fills my tank, and he told me that if I dont tell
them, he's not going to report me, or charge me for an inspection.

What's the danger if the tank goes empty anyway?

Absolutely nothing. It's a way they can screw an extra $50 or more from
a customer. If the gas was shut off for years, I could sort of
understand it, because stuff can rust and corrode. But if I run out of
gas on Monday and call them on Tuesday, there is no excuse or need to
inspect. Yet, if I tell them at the office I ran out, they will do their
useless inspection and charge me $50.

When my gas tank is filled, my furnace pilot light is OFF and cant leak
gas. My old range has the old pilot lights, so a very tiny amount of gas
can leak, but it's not enough to really cause a problem. But to be 100%
safe, and also to protect them, I told them to write on my record, to
always shut off the valve that goes to the house if I'm not home, when
they fill the tank. All that means is that I have to re-light my pilot
lights. No biggie! (only my furnace and range). My water heater is
electric.