Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default Just bought house with 1,000 gallon propane tank (is this normal?)

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 04:47:01 -0000 (UTC), "M. Stradbury"
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 17:52:37 -0600, Paintedcow wrote:

If I did not OWN my tank, it would cost me over $100 a year to lease a
tank from them.

This outfit is called Amerigas.

I've heard of them....

They charge $60 per year to rent the tank, with the first year free.
Of course, if you rent their tank, you don't have to pay for 10-year
inspections of the regulators and the like, but you are limited to
only getting gas from them.

That's cheap to rent the tank compared to here. It was $120 here, but
that was 8 years ago. It's either the same, or more now. (Nothing ever
goes down in price except the gas itself).

Since the tank came with the house, and since I pay property tax
on it every year, I can go to anyone I want.

Then you OWN the tank, which is great. They are not cheap!
When I bought my 500gal tank, the new ones were around $1600, but they
had these older models, and were still at $1000. I got the last one. I
asked the guy what the difference was between the older model and the
newer one. He said nothing except it's from a a different company, and
the color is different. Mine is gray, the newer ones were white. He said
the price went up because steel prices rose, and they changed companies
because they got a better deal. They were selling the old ones at the
same price they were the year before, because they wanted to get rid of
them, so to not have different colors. (like I could care about the
color).

Is there a special entry on your prop tax for the tank? I have never
seen that. We pay taxes on the home and any permanent other buildings,
and the land itself. That's all. I have a couple small sheds I built on
wheels (old hay wagon frames). They are not permanent, so no taxes. Plus
I can move them if I decide I want them closer to the house, or
whatever. I could move them if I was to move elsewhere too. When I build
livestock shelters, I dont put the posts in the ground. They are built
on top of railroad ties, and that means they can be moved, so no taxes.
(I do put trailer home anchors in the ground so they dont blow over
during storms, but that's still legal).

But Amerigas seems to be the cheapest (Suburban and Kamps being two
of the others).

The company I usually get my gas from, is a local farmer owned company
that also sells livestock feed, crop seed, and fertilizers.