Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Just bought house with 1,000 gallon propane tank (is thisnormal?)

On 12/17/2015 6:52 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 22:55:01 -0000 (UTC), "M. Stradbury"
wrote:

They just filled the tank up to 85% (they wouldn't fill further
they told my wife, otherwise it could blow up, they said).

They told me the price is $1.45 per gallon of propane plus
about a twenty dollar "hazmat" fee whatever that means, for a
total price a bit over a thousand dollars for the fill.

But, I also don't know what's normal.
Is this normal stuff?

I have a 500 gal tank. They only fill mine to 80%. But they can not fill
any tank to 100%. Even those 20lb tanks for your BBQ grill are only
filled part way. In the sun, they expand, so if they were filled 100%,
they would at least release gas, if not explode.

Another web portal user. Who won't see my reply.

When I worked for one place, they told us the 80%
capacity was already figured in, and we put 20
pounds in the 20 pounders. I thought it was 16,
but the boss said 20, and also the guy who taught
the certification course so I could pump propane.

Also read on line, Blue Rhino was at one point
put 15 pounds instead of 16. Maybe still do.

--
..
Christopher A. Young