Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Golden Rules of Troubleshooting

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
I helps to try to figure out what a device should do when it is working.

Extracting this information is sometimes really hard when people are
fixating on what's broken and keep talking in circles.

I got a call at the plant I worked at from an equipment operator. When I
got there he said an indicator light would not come on. He had changed
bulbs and even swappend a glowing one with the one that would not come on to
show me it was not the bulb.

I asked him about the equipment as I did not know anything about it. He
said he presses one button and a light comes on , then he presses the second
button and another light comes on, but now the second light would not come
on. As this was just in a control room and the equipment could be located
anywhere in the plant I asked him several times about the equipment and all
I could get out of him was he just pressse the buttons and the lights should
come. He did not seem to know where the equipment was, just the indicator
lights..

Give him credit for at least swapping out indicator bulbs.