Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default Whole House Humidifier - Disconnected Water Line?

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 09:06:17 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

I had put one of these dehumidifiers in my first house and it was a mess
and a mess to clean. There was no water over flow and after a month or
so, I'd have to remove the pad to clean out the calcium deposit with
vinegar.

Unless they have designed something new, which I dont know about, NONE
of the built in (to furnace) humidifiers last very long. And if your
water is high in minerals, it's even worse. Not only are they a pain to
keep working and clean, but they can damage the furnace by causing rust
to the heat exchanger, and/or damage the electronics within the furnace.

I quit using them years ago. I just use a portable humidifier which
needs to be filled with a pail, and also needs maintenance and cleaning,
but cant cause flooding or damage your furnace. And if they go bad, you
just replace the whole unit and dont have to find something that fits
into the plenum.