Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Golden Rules of Troubleshooting

Ah, they ain't no how as bad as all that these days. Between the various mods, Factory and susequent, they have been rendered pretty bullet-proof, very stable, and as simple SS amps go, fairly melifluous. They were made in the uncounted tens of thousands, and uncounted thousands survive. With a few hours of simple work and not much cost, a decent 50+ watt amp may be had. As it happens, I keep two (full mods) that see very rough service, and have done so in one case for 2 years of 24/7 use in a desert climate, not conditioned. 100F+ from may to November. It now sits in my shop system seeing about 3 hours per week, these days.

Who would put a curtain over an amp capable of frying an egg in the first place?? That smacks of terminal idiocy.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA