Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian-Gaff Brian-Gaff is offline

Default Interesting plastering in a 1930s semi

Don't know but this terrace was built in 1939, and apart from some of the
rooms being less than square at the corners, the only thing I used to see
was that it was apparently common to use some kind of varnishy stuff over
certain parts of walls. I have no idea what that was either, but when the
house needed to be rewired in the 70s, the electricians asked me about it
when they were making grooves and fitting conduit boxes.

All I can think is it might have been some kind of damp reducer. These are
single brick thickness outside walls, and its only those which have the
coating.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Murmansk" wrote in message
I've just been stripping the wallpaper in the third bedroom in my 1930
brick-built semi.

I was interested to find that when it was plastered they created a very neat
strip of dark grey plaster about half a metre wide down from the ceiling and
the rest of the wall was done in much lighter plaster.

There's a very neat joint between the two.

This was probably the height of fashion in 1930 and there's evidence of some
kind of paint pattern on it in some places - I've never come across anything
like this before - but most of my previous experience of stripping walls
has been in houses built in about 1880!