Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
I was curious as to what had just happened, so I went back to the

dealer, told them the story, and asked a few questions. Basically,
there is nobody in the system that knows how to troubleshoot a vehicle
without totally relying on the computerized hardware. The programming
is not intended to nail down the exact cause of a problem, only the
most probable causes, expecting the dealer to replace things in a
rational and logical order based on their experience. In other words,
the computer supplies a shopping list that usually includes a large
number of irrelevant replacement parts and procedures. When calling
factory service support, they don't have experienced techs on the
phones. They just read the computer screen. I was also told that it
was amazing that the diagnostics programs worked because the factory
was constantly making changes and improvements that affected
recommendations.

At work there is a pipe that has about 150 psi of air on it and about 2
inches in diameter. This goes to a regulator that cuts it to about 75 psi
and then to a a control valve that is ran by a computer. This regular has a
habit of getting water in it and in the winter time turning to ice. I got a
call that the system was not working correctly so I cleared the ice from the
regulator. Then an engineer wanted me to rebuild or change out the control
valve because it was not working. I told her that I was not going to do it
unless there were more problems. She got very mad at me and told me that
her data from the computer said the control valve was not working. I told
her I did not care what her old data said, it was not the control valve.

The control valve can not control anyting if no air is getting to it for it
to control.

Had a lot more trouble out of some of the production engineers because of
the computer. The process probably monitored over 1000 points and stored
that data for a month. That data could be called up in a graphical form.
Only problem is some of the data points may be 1 to 5 moments apart.
Something could hapen and would not be caught during that time frame. Then
it would look like something other than the origional problem was the cause.

Computers are good,but you have to undestand what they are trying to tell
you and sometimes they are just wrong.