Posted to uk.d-i-y
Murmansk Murmansk is offline

Default Interesting plastering in a 1930s semi

I've just been stripping the wallpaper in the third bedroom in my 1930 brick-built semi.

I was interested to find that when it was plastered they created a very neat strip of dark grey plaster about half a metre wide down from the ceiling and the rest of the wall was done in much lighter plaster.

There's a very neat joint between the two.

This was probably the height of fashion in 1930 and there's evidence of some kind of paint pattern on it in some places - I've never come across anything like this before - but most of my previous experience of stripping walls has been in houses built in about 1880!