Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

Once upon a time, I was temporarily put in charge of marine radio
manufactories production test department while they searched for
someone to replace my predicessor, who had apparently gone missing,
insane, or both.

Among the test techs was one who followed instructions dilligently,
but usually failed to understand what was expected. The techs were
told that in the transmitter RF chain, if they couldn't identify which
device lacked sufficient gain, they could just replace each device in
turn until the culprit was found. This was possible because there
were only 7 devices involved, and the most likely culprits were the
cheap TO-92 devices found at the oscillator end of the chain.
Unfortunately, that was not communicated to this individual, who
proceded to replace devices starting with the rather expensive 25 watt
VHF RF output transistor. Nobody said noticed until I went to the
parts room to replace a 25 watt device that I had blown up in
engineering, and was informed that production test had grabbed all the
available stock. I also noticed that someone had prefixed some of the
printed test procedures to include turning the power on to the test
equipment. I survived for about a month and was very happy when the
company finally hired someone to replace me.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D