Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default PC and monitor standby power?

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 13:31:43 -0800, dr.s.lartius wrote:

On Wednesday, 9 December 2015 12:58:35 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:
SL wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 December 2015 14:47:39 UTC, Adrian wrote:

Have a google for the monitor - the 8yo 24" Samsung flat on my desk
is reputedly 0.5w on standby.

Call it a watt for the pair. So 1,000hrs from 1kWh or, at 15p/kWh,
about 2.5 days per penny.
(3) I asked "during the night" - but you have quoted the daytime rate.

A typical rate, as additional information. Did you tell us anything
about your neighbour's supply tariff?

I did not; I was asking about the power in watts, not the cost. To get
the true cost, one must remember that the dissipation in question is a
humble contribution to the room heating

To answer other respondents :

Amitech MM Lite PC 1851, Philips monitor type unknown. Windows 7 is in
the "Turn off" state at night.

Speakers - good thought. I don't recall exactly where the "manual" for
that pair is, but I do know where that for a replacement pair should be
- no such information supplied on sealed retail purchase - Creative A60
2.0.

It's common practice amongst the manufacturers of active PC speakers to
fit the on/off switch on the low voltage secondary side of the mains
transformer. This leaves the transformer losses (hysteresis in the core
and some I squared R loss in the primary due to magnetisation current)
still drawing power off the mains supply which can be dismayingly high (4
watts or so in my case with a decently sized "Target" TRG-S320 stereo PC
speaker pair).

I've been replacing the 'innards' of my desktop PC's ATX PSU, every 4 or
5 years as they wear out, with 'innards' cannibalised from new ATX PSU's
simply to retain the mains isolator switch and the 'Aux' monitor power
socket which it also controls just so I can shut off these parasitic
loads after the OS shuts the PC down (a total of 8 to 10 watts worth).

Refurbishing, rather than replacing, the PSU also saves me having to 're-
customise' the ventilation grille-work which most ATX PSUs typically
compromise the efficacy of the PSU cooling fan as the sole means of
adequate cooling for a well ventilated Desktop tower case housing a
sub-150W peak demand PC system (I have a very quiet desktop PC that keeps
its cool - in more ways than one :-).

Some respondents wrote about buying a digital wattmeter - surely not the
type of advice for news:uk-d-i-y, since one can make a digital wattmeter
from the sort of electronic components that became available a
generation or more ago.

Human or technology 'generations'? :-)

Most DIYers think it's sufficient to buy their tools 'ready made' rather
than design and build their own DMMs or digital watt meters, especially
when it's likely to cost more just to buy the parts than to buy a
suitable 'off-the-shelf' ready made test meter (£9.99 in the case of the
N67FU I recommended as suitable to making such measurements). You're
talking about "Extreme DIY", a branch of the hobby that most contributors
here would regard as a completely OTT approach to the gentle art of
DIY. :-)

I used "likely" to indicate that I just wanted approximate probable
figures.

Well, apart from my overlooking a potentially significant PC Speaker
load, I gave you exactly the sort of answer you were looking for. I'm
feeling a little 'affronted' that you failed to thank me by name. :-(

:-)

--
Johnny B Good