Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default Log cabin living????????

On 12/15/2015 8:48 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

That's the title of a show on GAC. Log cabins in Oregon seem to be
$400,000 and up.
Two, three, or more bedrooms. A bath, or two, or three.
The people in those just as well be on another planet than me.

My family rented a large log vacation home in Wisconsin for many years
back in the 2000s. We thought the log walls and wood-everywhere
interiors were very attractive, but it had a major problem with
settling, resulting in some of the logs moving and doors and windows
popping out of their frames. It was such a costly fix, the owner
instead just put notes on the affected doors and windows telling
renters not to try using them. I have no idea if that's a potential
drawback of log homes or if the builder was at fault in this
particular case. At any rate, I loved staying there but I had no
interest in buying it. After the economy cratered, other log homes in
the area ended up being sold at auction for a fraction of their
assessed value.