Tweetldee

Default need help repairing old Heathkit weather computer

Yeah, your scope connection will be with the ground connection of the probe
going to power supply return (most likely connected to the case, but not
always) and the probe tip to the circuit point you're monitoring. if you
saw no ripple there, then the PS is probably OK.
How long has this unit been out of commission? Is it possible that it a
lightening strike or power surge may have caused its demise? If so, then
it's possible that most, if not all, of the semiconductors in the unit are
bad. If the sensors are outside, and close to a power line or phone line,
then it's possible that may have been the cause of failure.
It's going to be a bit difficult to diagnose it without a schematic to
reference, but if you can adequately describe the circuits and their
symptoms, then we may be able to get it going again. I searched all the
usual places for freebie downloads, but no joy. +
Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Tweetldee
Tweetldee at att dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in the

"tempus fugit" wrote in message
The PS voltages were the 1st thing I checked. They were pretty saggy, so I
replaced the main filter caps. That helped, but didn't fix the problem, so

moved on to the regulators, and found that the -15v regulator was out of
commission, so I replaced it. This improved matters somewhat, but there

were
still problems, so I kept poking, and found a shorted PNP on the CPU

board,
which I replaced.
I have a scope, but am kind of new to it. I basically attached the ground
clip to the case and probed the regulator's output, which showed no ripple
(which seemed a little unrealistic to me). Is this the proper method for
checking for ripple?
As for the tarnish issue, I'm just going to check for continuity from the
IC's pins to the connections on the solder side of the board.

Thanks again, and keep those suggestions comin'

"Tweetldee" wrote in message
You don't need to worry about the tarnish on the soldered component

leads..
just the socketed components, such as ICs and transistors. If there are

any
connectors that appear to be tarnished, then you should clean those as

well.
BTW, have you checked the power supply output(s) with your multimeter?

If
the supply voltages aren't correct, then you can't expect the rest of

the
circuit to operate properly. How abot ripple on the PS lines? If

there's
lot of ripple, then there will be all sorts of chaos in the circuit.
--
Tweetldee
Tweetldee at att dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

the
address)

"tempus fugit" wrote in message
Thanks again.
Unforunately, I don't think I can scan the schem (it's huge for one

thing).
As for the voltages, they don't match up with what's indicated on the

schem
in a lot of places (even when I had most of it working), so I don't

know
which to trust. I'll try removing the tarnish and checking for

continuity
though.
Thanks

"Tweetldee" wrote in message
"tempus fugit" wrote in message
Thanks tweet.

The black stuff is actually on quite a few of the components -

diode
leads,
resistors, ICs, etc. I never really looked too close at it, but it
almost
looks like black paint.
The opamps are HOT. They start out cold, and after about 2 minutes

are
too
hot to touch. I have the original schematic, as well as the

manual,
but
have noticed some errors on the schem (or the circuit board, I

don't
know
which). One thing that I have noticed on a lot of components

(mostly
xsistors) is odd voltage readings. There might be 5v on one side

of
bias
resistor, and 0.3v on the other (xsistor) side, but the xsistor

checks
out
OK with a diode test (i.e., not leaky or shorted).

Thanks

From your description, I'd guess that your problem is

intermittent,
and
may
be easily repairable.
When you say that there is "black stuff" on the pins of the

4066,
is
it
just
tarnish or something else? If it's tarnish, then that could be

the
majority
of your problems. I assume that the ICs are socketed. If so,

you
can
use
any of a few methods to clean the tarnish off the pins. The

quickest
is
Tarn-X, but you have to rinse them very well afterwards with

clean
water.
Don't leave *any* Tarn-X residue on the pins, since it is

corrosive.
Another cleaning method is with a rubber pencil eraser. Be

careful
with
this, since it is easy to bend/break the pins.
What condition are the IC sockets in? They may need to be

cleaned
or
replaced if they are in bad condition.
How hot are the opamps? Are they just warm or really hot? If

they're
just
warm, it may be normal, depending on the circuit. Opamps

usually
are
low-level components... that is, they don't handle any

appreciable
power,
and usually run pretty cool.
Is the schematic of the unit available on the web anywhere, or

can
you
post
it to the binaries NG? Might help with some suggestions to help

you.
--
Tweetldee

Undoubtedly, the "black stuff" that you see on the leads is tarnish.

It's
not dangerous to the components, but if it's interfering with mating

of
component contacts, it will certainly prevent the circuit from

operating
correctly. This could be the problem with the opamps.
There's something seriously out of whack if the opamps are too hot

touch.. Don't allow it to run for more than just a few seconds

until
you
get it fixed.. the opamps will be destroyed, if they are not

defective
already.
I can't tell a thing from your voltage measurements without seeing

the
schematic along with the voltages. It certainly would be a big

help
if
you
could scan the schematic and post it somewhere. Without it, it's

pretty
much a waste of time here.