Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 17:21:14 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

If I got out of bed and it was 45 F, I would be looking into the heating
system first. I don't function when it is that cold.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/wood-burner.html
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/firewood-2015.html

Below about 45F, I have problems working, especially when I'm walking
around the house in pajamas and no shoes. I do it often and it
doesn't bother me much. However, that requires that I keep moving,
which is often difficult in front to the computah. So, I fire up the
wood burner and run the temperature up to 60 to 70F.

Sounds like you may want to look into a solid state drive for the computer
so it will start up cold. "

An SSD is in the works. The problem is that every time I buy one for
myself, some customer arrives and needs it more. Since prices are
dropping, I don't mind delaying my SSD upgrade. However, for the
present situation, I'm looking into an adjustable cat or dog warming
electric blanket. I had a mysterious data corruption problem about a
month ago, when it began to become cold, that was probably due to the
startup problem. I recovered fairly easily, but it burned too much
time.

If I got out of bed and it was that cold, I would be looking
into some INSULATION first! Something 'Murricans seem
to be averse to, even after decades of evidence in favor
of it.

This is not a conventional house:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/BL-house3.html
Insulation is possible, but there are other priorities that come
first. Eventually, I'll need to build up the roof, which is where
insulation will do the most good. One of my neighbors did that to
their house that was similarly built, and it worked very well.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558