Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote: "
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
I'm getting that now on my home desktop computah. I don't bother to

heat the house much at night. When I wake up, it's about 45F (7.2C)
inside the house. When I turn on my desktop computah, the fan makes
some odd noises but eventually quiets down. The hard disk seems to
boot normally, but usually some programs add oddly or crash. I reboot
and they then act normally. It's probably read errors on the hard
disk, but SMART shows nothing interesting. At this time, I boot to
the BIOS screen, wait about 10-15 mins, and then boot normally.

If I got out of bed and it was 45 F, I would be looking into the heating
system first. I don't function when it is that cold.

Sounds like you may want to look into a solid state drive for the computer
so it will start up cold. "

If I got out of bed and it was that cold, I would be looking
into some INSULATION first! Something 'Murricans seem
to be averse to, even after decades of evidence in favor
of it.

I've woken up to -40F, during survival training.

I've installed more fiberglass batts than I care to think about,
starting in the early '60s.