Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On 16/12/15 10:15, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 11:09:55 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Going to look bad when it is a bad power cable or socket.

Nope. Both passed the wiggle test.

Could be the capacitors. A number of years ago when the bad capacitors were
in many computers a friend had a computer in his basement that sometimes
came on and sometimes not. He left the cover off of it and would put a
light bulb next to the computer to heat it up. The computer wold come on
and work fine unless he shut it off , then he had to heat it up again with
the light bulb.

I'm getting that now on my home desktop computah. I don't bother to
heat the house much at night. When I wake up, it's about 45F (7.2C)
inside the house. When I turn on my desktop computah, the fan makes
some odd noises but eventually quiets down

Take the fan out and refit it, rotated 90 degrees.

The bushings wear the holes elliptical, and the rotation changes the
vibration modes.