Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Golden Rules of Troubleshooting

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 15:49:13 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

3. Things go better if you have a schematic, gallon of coffee, a
working unit to compare, and a parts unit to cannibalize.

Oh wow! This one is up there with Murphy's law!

And, unless you are the manufacturer of said device, much of the above will
never be available.

Gallons of coffee are available at your local supermarket.

I practice what I preach. If really want something to work, I buy 3
of them, and cannibalize one or two for parts to make one of them
work. I also buy or download the manuals:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/BL-shop5.html
Notice that there are three HP8620C sweep generators, and three
SSI/Wavetek 3000b service monitors in the photo.

If the schematics once existed, they will eventually appear on
someones web pile. The sellers of manuals seem to be very good at
obtaining obscure manuals. I've posed schematics for some of the
stuff I've helped design on my web pile. Much more difficult are
schematics with voltages and waveforms. That used to be standard
practice until about the 1970's, but has lost favor probably because
it requires the schematics to be printed in color.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D