Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Golden Rules of Troubleshooting

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
I helps to try to figure out what a device should do when it is working.

Extracting this information is sometimes really hard when people are
fixating on what's broken and keep talking in circles.

I got a call at the plant I worked at from an equipment operator. When I
got there he said an indicator light would not come on. He had changed
bulbs and even swappend a glowing one with the one that would not come on to
show me it was not the bulb.

I asked him about the equipment as I did not know anything about it. He
said he presses one button and a light comes on , then he presses the second
button and another light comes on, but now the second light would not come
on. As this was just in a control room and the equipment could be located
anywhere in the plant I asked him several times about the equipment and all
I could get out of him was he just pressse the buttons and the lights should
come. He did not seem to know where the equipment was, just the indicator
lights..