Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 11:09:55 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Going to look bad when it is a bad power cable or socket.

Nope. Both passed the wiggle test.

Could be the capacitors. A number of years ago when the bad capacitors were
in many computers a friend had a computer in his basement that sometimes
came on and sometimes not. He left the cover off of it and would put a
light bulb next to the computer to heat it up. The computer wold come on
and work fine unless he shut it off , then he had to heat it up again with
the light bulb.

I'm getting that now on my home desktop computah. I don't bother to
heat the house much at night. When I wake up, it's about 45F (7.2C)
inside the house. When I turn on my desktop computah, the fan makes
some odd noises but eventually quiets down. The hard disk seems to
boot normally, but usually some programs add oddly or crash. I reboot
and they then act normally. It's probably read errors on the hard
disk, but SMART shows nothing interesting. At this time, I boot to
the BIOS screen, wait about 10-15 mins, and then boot normally.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D