Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water line insulation question

On 12/15/2015 4:34 PM, Micky wrote:
So when I got my own house, a 2-story townhouse, one of the first
things I did was get that split sleeve stuff and put it on all the hot
water pipes in the basement. At least for me, who lives alone, who
might use the upstairs bathroom in the morning and not again until
dinner, certainly not before lunch, it did no good. The water was
usually cold again, and if not cold, then just warm. I couldn't
insulate the part inside the wall from the basement ceiling to 2nd
floor, but doing so wouldn't have made much difference in my shoes.

My one set of grand parents lived on second floor.
I remember her commenting how long it took to get
hot water. Of course, and instant tank under the
sink would have helped. She'd turn on the hot water,
walk away and do some thing, and come back. Must
have wasted a considerable lot of water.

I wrapped some over head pipes in the humid summer,
as they were right over my chemistry set, and I got
tired of them dripping on me.

--
..
Christopher A. Young