Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Water line insulation question

On 15 Dec 2015 13:47:17 GMT, KenK wrote:

How cold does that split sleeve-type insulation that you slide over water
lines protect to? 0? 10?

It will not get colder than the surrounding temperature. But it will
take longer to get there. I'm sure it's not as effective as a
thermos bottle, which uses vacuum and reflection.

TIA

When I lived in JHS and HS in a ranch-style house, I always disliked
how long it took for the hot water to get from the far end of the
house to the bathroom.

So when I got my own house, a 2-story townhouse, one of the first
things I did was get that split sleeve stuff and put it on all the hot
water pipes in the basement. At least for me, who lives alone, who
might use the upstairs bathroom in the morning and not again until
dinner, certainly not before lunch, it did no good. The water was
usually cold again, and if not cold, then just warm. I couldn't
insulate the part inside the wall from the basement ceiling to 2nd
floor, but doing so wouldn't have made much difference in my shoes.