Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Frustration

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 14:48:33 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

I don't have a pottery supply near , but I do have a large pile of
fiberglass batts . You think they'll work at the temps you use ? The
grates aren't so awkward in shape , I plan to build an enclosure with
firebricks and preheat with my foundry burner . Heat 'em both up and
let one soak while I weld on the other , swap as they cool .

No, you can melt fiberglass on a kitchen stove. I don't know what
the glass type is, but really low melting point.

Jon

THanks , looks like I'll be inventorying the fire bricks . I've got enough ,
just gotta dig 'em out of storage .

I guess you know to heat and dry them slowly if they got damp. I keep
mine in a big plastic bag (3 mil) made for collecting trash on
construction sites. They can crack, and even explode, if you heat them
when they're really damp or wet.

Glass wool melts at around 1,000 deg. F. If they use Johns Manville
Mineral Wool for insulation in your area, that melts at around 2,000
F. Other kinds of "rock wool" and "mineral wool" vary all over the
map. The old stuff was made from steel mill slag, but they make it
from a variety of things today.

You shouldn't heat your iron above 1,200 F. It goes hot-short at
around 1,400 F or just over, and it will crack if you look at it
cross-eyed at that temperature. Lincoln Electric says to pre-heat in
the range of 500 - 1,200 deg. F.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...on-detail.aspx

--
Ed Huntress