Tweetldee

Default need help repairing old Heathkit weather computer

You don't need to worry about the tarnish on the soldered component leads..
just the socketed components, such as ICs and transistors. If there are any
connectors that appear to be tarnished, then you should clean those as well.
BTW, have you checked the power supply output(s) with your multimeter? If
the supply voltages aren't correct, then you can't expect the rest of the
circuit to operate properly. How abot ripple on the PS lines? If there's a
lot of ripple, then there will be all sorts of chaos in the circuit.
--
Tweetldee
Tweetldee at att dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in the

"tempus fugit" wrote in message
Thanks again.
Unforunately, I don't think I can scan the schem (it's huge for one

thing).
As for the voltages, they don't match up with what's indicated on the

schem
in a lot of places (even when I had most of it working), so I don't know
which to trust. I'll try removing the tarnish and checking for continuity
though.
Thanks

"Tweetldee" wrote in message
"tempus fugit" wrote in message
Thanks tweet.

The black stuff is actually on quite a few of the components - diode

leads,
resistors, ICs, etc. I never really looked too close at it, but it

almost
looks like black paint.
The opamps are HOT. They start out cold, and after about 2 minutes are

too
hot to touch. I have the original schematic, as well as the manual,

but
have noticed some errors on the schem (or the circuit board, I don't

know
which). One thing that I have noticed on a lot of components (mostly
xsistors) is odd voltage readings. There might be 5v on one side of a

bias
resistor, and 0.3v on the other (xsistor) side, but the xsistor checks

out
OK with a diode test (i.e., not leaky or shorted).

Thanks

From your description, I'd guess that your problem is intermittent,

and
may
be easily repairable.
When you say that there is "black stuff" on the pins of the 4066, is

it
just
tarnish or something else? If it's tarnish, then that could be the
majority
of your problems. I assume that the ICs are socketed. If so, you

can
use
any of a few methods to clean the tarnish off the pins. The

quickest
is
Tarn-X, but you have to rinse them very well afterwards with clean

water.
Don't leave *any* Tarn-X residue on the pins, since it is corrosive.
Another cleaning method is with a rubber pencil eraser. Be careful

with
this, since it is easy to bend/break the pins.
What condition are the IC sockets in? They may need to be cleaned

or
replaced if they are in bad condition.
How hot are the opamps? Are they just warm or really hot? If

they're
just
warm, it may be normal, depending on the circuit. Opamps usually

are
low-level components... that is, they don't handle any appreciable

power,
and usually run pretty cool.
Is the schematic of the unit available on the web anywhere, or can

you
post
it to the binaries NG? Might help with some suggestions to help

you.
--
Tweetldee

Undoubtedly, the "black stuff" that you see on the leads is tarnish.

It's
not dangerous to the components, but if it's interfering with mating of
component contacts, it will certainly prevent the circuit from operating
correctly. This could be the problem with the opamps.
There's something seriously out of whack if the opamps are too hot to
touch.. Don't allow it to run for more than just a few seconds until

you
get it fixed.. the opamps will be destroyed, if they are not defective
already.
I can't tell a thing from your voltage measurements without seeing the
schematic along with the voltages. It certainly would be a big help if

you
could scan the schematic and post it somewhere. Without it, it's pretty
much a waste of time here.