Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Golden Rules of Troubleshooting

On 15/12/2015 12:24, Ken wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:

Anyone care to share their experience on the correct approach to
troubleshooting? I'll kick off by suggesting:

1. Assume nothing.

Perhaps we can assemble a list of golden rules....

** Troubleshooting is like a maze, there are many starting points and
blind alleys to negotiate on your the way to the goal.

Unfamiliar equipment requires a more cautious approach than familiar
items.

Always observe the fault carefully *before* starting disassembly and
find out what functions work and what do not.

Owner's descriptions are often misleading or fail to mention
important issues, but you still need to find out what prompted that
description.

Bench tests need to simulate actual use or worst case use, but beware
of simulating abuse.

When stuck on a problem, take a break and start over a day or so
later.

.... Phil

"When stuck on a problem, take a break and start over a day or so
later." I cannot tell you how many problems I solved while doing that.
Sometimes getting just getting away from the problem allows clearer
thought.

Posting a query to some "social media" may not ellicit the solution but
some suggesting will often set you thinking in a different train. Its so
easy to decide in your own mind that the problem must be in some
particular narrow area and you totally overlook a completely valid
alternative area.