Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default LED bulbs won't turn off in outdoor light/motion sensor base.

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 20:00:45 -0800, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:
I replaced incandescent flood bulbs on outdoor light/motion sensor
base and the LED bulbs stay on all the time, day & night. Is it a
technology problem? Do I need to put incandescent bulbs back in, or
replace the base?

Try the phillips dimmable LEDs. They've worked for me in similar circuits.

I've never seen a motion sensor that works like it should all the time.
It dont matter how much you pay for them, none are perfect. Some are
better than others though.

Anyhow, it could be there is not enough current being drawn to turn off
the light. (Just a guess). If so, you may have to either use LED bulbs
that draw more current (higher wattage), or make one of the bulbs an
incandescent, the other a LED.

Maybe the dimmable ones will work better, I dont really know. LED is new
technology, so there will be issues, and since motion sensors have
always been touchy, that just adds to the issues.

Do they make and sell motion sensor fixture INTENDED FOR LEDs? I dont
know, I have never looked for them. I got rid of most of my motion
sensor fixtures because they seemed to waste more power than without.
Seemed that the lights would go off just from a dog or cat, or a wild
animal, moving branches, rain/snow, etc. So it seemed they were turning
on and off all hours of the night. I only have one left on my barn, but
I put a switch on it. When I'm working out there after dark, I turn the
switch on and the sensor works when I go near the thing. Before I go in
the house at night, I turn it off.

This is not the first time I heard of this problem, including using CFL
bulbs.

You could also wire a second fixture to the same sensor, that would be
FOUR LED bulbs on one sensor. Maybe that would help????