Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

One of the advantages of my office location is that it's very
centrally located. Within about 500ft is the intersection of 3
freeways, the main drag into Santa Cruz city, and smaller roads
leading directly to nearby cities. All roads lead to my office, which
is both a benefit and a problem. Besides making it easier for my
customers to drop in, it also attracts a motley assortment of people
that just happen to be driving by my dead end street, and just happen
to in the mood for trashing my day with inane conversation.

One memorable day, I had 4 of these visitors perched on benches and
chairs (I only have two chairs in the office to make sure they're not
very comfortable). I was working on replacing some caps in an ATX
power supply. Of course, I wasn't paying attention and accidentally
soldered the caps in backwards. With the cover off, I plugged in the
power supply, and continued the discussion with my visitors. Suddenly,
several of the caps decided this would be a excellent time to explode
and launch oily confetti all over the office. Everyone, except me,
dived for cover under or behind tables and boxes. I just continued
talking as if everything was perfectly normal and nothing unusual had
happened. The visitors soon made a rather hasty exit. Oddly, they
must have told their friends, because my office was free of unwanted
visitors for at least a week or two.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D