Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Golden Rules of Troubleshooting

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Anyone care to share their experience on the correct approach to
troubleshooting? I'll kick off by suggesting:

1. Assume nothing.

Perhaps we can assemble a list of golden rules....

** Troubleshooting is like a maze, there are many starting points and blind alleys to negotiate on your the way to the goal.

Unfamiliar equipment requires a more cautious approach than familiar items.

Always observe the fault carefully *before* starting disassembly and find out what functions work and what do not.

Owner's descriptions are often misleading or fail to mention important issues, but you still need to find out what prompted that description.

Bench tests need to simulate actual use or worst case use, but beware of simulating abuse.

When stuck on a problem, take a break and start over a day or so later.

..... Phil