Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

Vic Smith wrote, on Mon, 14 Dec 2015 09:56:13 -0600:

I assume they just mounted the tire and balanced it on the machine.
Think about it. You can save 1/2 ounce of weight by spinning the tire
90 degrees on the rim, or just use the 1/2 ounce.
The average guy is just guy is just going to add the weight.
Why remove the tire, take it to another machine, deflate it, etc?

Exactly.

For them, the *time* it takes to correctly mount your tire is
vastly more expensive than the weights.

By the way, I have match mounted my own tires to my BMW OEM rims
and you do *not* need to dismount the tire to match mount it.

What you do is mount it, but, due to the nature of mounting at
home with gobs of Liquid Palmolive as a lubricant, the tire
slides a little.

But a new tire that has no air in it is relatively easy to slide
on the rim. Of course, the bead has to be broken, which is a pain
if you can't do that on the Hunter balancer that you're using
to tell you where to slide the tire, so, maybe that's what
you're intimating they need to do on the second machine.

Anyway, we are in violent agreement.

There is a "proper" way to mount a tire, yet, I will wager
that just about 0% of passenger tires get mounted properly.