Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 14:34:34 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

But if you balance tires with a Hunter Road Force balancer, which is
how I get my tires balanced, the dots end up at random locations.

I'm sure Vic Smith knows what he's talking about, but, upon first
inspection, I don't understand this statement because the tires go
on the rims by the dots *before* the tires get balanced on the machine.

I guess what Vic Smith is saying is that a "proper" tire mounting
job would be to mount the tire according to the match mounting
marks on the rim and the dots on the tire, and *then* spin balance
and *then* deflate the tire and slide the tire to get the best
balance *before* adding a single ounce of weight.

Of course, this is a *perfect* procedure, but, I have *never* seen
anyone do it on "my" tires when mine are dynamically balanced.

Right. But that's the "ideal." It's called "matching"
Even though I get my tires road force balanced, I was never around to
watch the guy do it.
I assume they just mounted the tire and balanced it on the machine.
Think about it. You can save 1/2 ounce of weight by spinning the tire
90 degrees on the rim, or just use the 1/2 ounce.
The average guy is just guy is just going to add the weight.
Why remove the tire, take it to another machine, deflate it, etc?
It's okay with me, since I'm not paying for "matching."

The tire monkey knows *how*; it's just work and, most customers
don't know the difference.

As long as there's no difference it doesn't matter to me.