Posted to comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.home.repair
Bruce Sinclair Bruce Sinclair is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

In article , Daniel James wrote:
In article , Nospam wrote:
the smartness in that charger is for communicating with the laptop
about the adapter's capabilities, not charging strategies, which is
handled by the macbook based on the reported capabilities.

Yes, of course. We've all been using (relatively) dumb chargers for
years so it's pretty obvious that a wall-wart doesn't *need* to have
the smarts of a 128k Mac!

The point was being made (by Bruce Sinclair, to whom I was replying)
that modern chargers do have some smarts,

Correction - I never made that point.
(snip)