Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeroni Paul Jeroni Paul is offline

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

wrote:
Well I guess it is my turn.

NAP bigscreen no sound - vertical control IC.

Everything runs off the data and clock lines. This IC does the "S" correction and things like that pertaining to linearity. It is of course bus addressed. The one line, data or clock, doesn't matter, was clamping the signal down to like 2 volts. Leaky. That meant the data from the EPROM was not read when the unit got initialized so it did not know which sound system it had and never upped that.

I had a similar fault in an Universum CRT TV set. It came with an all white screen sympthom that I traced to the RGB decoder matrix IC holding its RGB outputs to 0V. Replaced the IC, no joy. It was I2C controlled and I even built a simple interface to send commands from the PC, it seemed to ACK fine and all looked right. If not initialized at turn on the raster remained black but as soon as the outputs were activated in any way it would go full white.
Finally found the problem: it received a sandcastle signal from the sync processor IC that had the top pulses too low so the RGB IC was not locking on them. The picture improvement IC also connected to this signal had a leaky input and was eating half the signal.