Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:46:52 -0600, Chuck wrote:

In the early 70s there was a company that sold strips of rubber of
various sizes with a razor blade, jig and a tube of super glue that
was supposed to be used to make belts for consumer electronics
equipment. I had never seen super glue before so I tried it. Once.

Those are still sold and work reasonably well:
https://www.google.com/#q=o-ring+splice+kit

The trick is to cut the o-ring or whatever at an angle. That does
three things:
- It increases the surface contact area so that the glue has a better
grip.
- It converts some of the stresses from tension to shear, where
cyanoacrylate adhesives are stronger.
- When used as a compression seal, crushing the glue joint does NOT
crack the rather brittle glue joint.

The only gotcha I've run into is dealing with tight turns such as very
small diameter drive pulleys. Cutting the o-ring at a large angle
causes the glue joint to be longer. Too long, and it will crack if
wrapped around a small pully. Just size the angle for covering no
more than about 60 degrees around the pully, and I think it should be
ok.

Note: Super glue doesn't work if there's little contact area, so
splicing thin and flat belts doesn't work. I've had some luck using
contact cement with these, but not reliably.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D