Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Much?

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 01:31:43 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/11/2015 12:11 AM, wrote:

Why would you think a head set would "fuzz out" any more than a phone?
Mine doesn't seem to fuzz out until I am down the street a ways.
Anywhere around the house and yard it is locked in pretty well unless
the batteries are dying.

It's not a question of "think" but, rather, *observing*!

I can put the headphones on and within *seconds* encounter
one of these dropouts. They will persist for an hour or
more -- until I get tired of having my listening interrupted,
thusly. I.e., the batteries are fully charged and I'm within
*feet* of the "base".

OTOH, I can take my phone around the neighborhood and not experience
any dropouts, "fuzz outs", etc.

If I were to purchase a new cordless headphone, I'd select with
very different criteria (the ones I have were purchased long ago
with an emphasis on convenience and comfort instead of concern
for the hostility of my current office environment). But, I'd
rather have *no* headphones -- which I can do during "early"
work hours (e.g., before ~10PM).

I'm working with a firm to modify a COTS BT (stereo) headset to
incorporate a microphone to interface with my automation system
(I present a spatialized audio interface to the user so a BT
*earpiece* is not as effective as a stereo headset -- but, headsets
don't tend to have microphones, very long running times *or* custom
firmware). When this is available, I can use it in lieu of a
COTS solution and have access to *everything* in the home (TV,
telephone, automation system, etc.) instead of just the "stereo".

It also lets the house know where I am physically located so
it can interpret my commands/request in an appropriate context.
E.g., if I'm in the living room, audio from the TV would be
routed to the headset, not the "stereo" that would be used if
I happened to be in the office. Commanding "louder" would mean
the TV's volume should be increased, not the stereo's -- without
my having to qualify that command: "TV louder" vs. "stereo louder".

You must just have a bad head set