Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default How Much?

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 21:09:07 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

We have no interest in "reality TV" -- we live our own "real lives",
thankyouverymuch! : And, can pick the movies that we *want* to see
at will instead of hoping someone airs something that we'd like to
watch, *when* we'd like to watch it (or, when we want to sit down and
browse the upcoming schedules to decide what to configure the HTPC to
record on our behalf).

Reality TV is garbage. And that seems to be most of the programs these
days. Other than that there are game shows, which dont interest me. If I
had to rely on the "regular" TV channels, I'd probably only turn the tv
on to watch the weather reports and maybe the local news. Honestly,
there is nothing worth watching on modern tv programming, at least not
for me.

However, I do like to watch the "oldies channels". Mostly Me-Tv. I like
those old westerns and many of the other old shows. I dont spend a lot
of time watching, but when I'm taking a break from my neverending farm
work, (and I do need more breaks than when I was younger), I flip on
Me-Tv, and go on the computer (usually this newsgroup). I do both at the
same time, along with some snacks.

I have to comment about this. What the hell happened to all those great
programs they used to have on tv? I mean the series, like Bonanza, The
Rifleman, Emergency, even some of the light stuff like The Brady Bunch,
or Mr. Ed, Donna Reed show, or Lassie. Dont they have any talented
actors anymore? Isnt there any money to be made by actors making these
series? Or do they just make full length movies now? (Personally, I cant
sit thru a full lenght movie too often. But a half hour series fits my
resting time well).

It's kind of ironic. Back when tv's were only black and white, or the
early days of color tv, there were so many great things to watch. Now we
have all these high tech tv's HDTV with surround sound, and tv sets that
cover a whole wall, AND ALL THEY HAVE ON TV IS CRAP. Who need HDTV for
watching a talk show, or some Judge Judy trying a bunch of total losers
in her court, or that repulsive Springer show, and others like it. Or
who needs HDTV even for the news. ????

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but I cant find any of the modern
programming that I'd even spend 5 minutes worth of my time to watch any
of the crap they have on the tube now.

Funny thing, I feel the same way about the web now. Back in the 90's the
web was alot of fun. Lots of funny stuff and informative sites too,
which were intresting. Yea, some of that still exists, but little. Most
of the web is just advrtising, and poliical bickering, or other junk.
And there seems to be no website anymore that does NOT link to Facebook,
and in my opinion, Facebook is the biggest pile of time wasting rubbish
ever to hit the internet. I briefly tried it, I opened my own page based
on a specific interest (topic) and limited membership to only people who
fit the topic. Within a month, it became nothing but a pile of rubbish,
including political bickering and name calling, people begging for money
or whining about their spouse, or just posting any damn thing they
wanted. One day I just killed the account and will never go back. (and
that dont include all the data mining and identity theft they do on that
miserable piece of worthless garbage).

But I'm not really complaining. Now I spend more time being productive
with my tools and farm stuff, and spend more time with friends and with
my animals too. All of that is far better than staring at a tube, or in
these days, it's a piece of plastic with pixels....