Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default Lamp Repair using a Rigger's Constricting Knot

In article ,
whit3rd wrote:

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 6:28:11 AM UTC-8, Joe Gwinn wrote:
Yesterday, I noticed that the lamp hanging over the kitchen sink was no
longer hanging by the woven polyester cable sheath (which is intended
to carry the weight of the lamp fixture) and was now hanging by the
electrical wires. Which were coming undone -

So, I replaced the metal ferrule with a double constrictor knot made of
nylon cord, all well daubed with Pliobond rubber cement.

Sounds good, and it's likely the rubber cement won't attack the
materials. I'd have used hotmelt glue, and instead of a knot, just
a wrap or two of a nylon tie-wrap. Anything you can get tight, that
stays tight, should work at least as well as the original did.

I'm going to make a metal clamp ring, modeled on the commercial cord
clamps.

Joe Gwinn