Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Flooding

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 20:43:16 -0000, ARW wrote:

I suppose you're saying that it was stupid of people to live in
Carlisle. It's a big city and a lot of people live there,

Carlisle isn't a "big" city, I can tolerate going there with ease so
it ain't big. Leeds is about the size limit, Manchester I always get
lost in, Haven't been to Birmingham for decades, as for London no
chance unless I have no option.

It might be big in area but it it is not highly populated.

Biggest city by area in the UK at 400 square miles but with a
population of just under 110,000. But that is really the district of
the City of Carlisle rather than what most people would consider to
be Carlisle City.

"Carlisle City", the urban bit has about 75,000 population and a
guesstimated area of 10 square miles. More a run of the mill town
than a "big city". B-)

Been trying to find out how much they raised the defences since the
last floods in 2005, that held in 2009. What ever it was they were
easily over topped this time. The Eden in Carlisle (Sheepmont) rose
to 7.23 m, the previous highest level was 5.81 m (in 2009). That's
1.42 m (4'8") higher. That's a 24% increase in the record... At
Linstock 5.02 m v 4.26 m (2009 again) 18% increase.

--
Cheers
Dave.