Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 4:30:21 PM UTC-5, Chuck wrote:
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 07:13:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

One of my favorite stories is from electronics lab in college.

We had to build a small two stage transistor audio amp in the lab with parts from the stock room, onto a protoboard like breadboard.

My lab partners and I were experienced hams and got ours working in no time , no problems.

The PHD proffesor called me over to help him troubleshoot another groups that they could not get to work.

The design had a 10uf cap between the two stages.

I looked at the other groups breadboard and immediatly saw a tiny ceramic cap with a 10 printed on it between the two stages.

I pointed to the cap and said, that doesn't look right.

Got an A in that lab.

=========================

Oh another one.

I worked for a company that made CATV settop boxes.
I wandered into the lab where a group of young engineers were stuck troubleshooting a new box design. The picture was black and white and they could not figure out why there was no color. Looking into the box I saw a crystal marked 3.579545.

On a total whim, I put my fingers on the crystal.

The picture immediatly snapped into color!!!!

I was amazed myself but didn't let it show....I just cooly said, there is your problem and walked away. :-)

And lastly, in the same vein
you will all enjoy this story

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/pop...lectronics.htm

Have fun

Mark

Mark...

For a very short time in the 1980s, Kenwood manufactured
amplifiers with wrong value resistors at various locations. The
first one was a bear because I had never seen a Japanese company
make that kind of mistake.

Lawsuits over the years have shown their companies to be just as liable occasionally, too (like with Nomura, Sumitomo, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Hitachi and others...) I think that things are done less purposely with regards to American markets, though.