Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default Grounding wire for house. Is this right?

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 04:32:24 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

From the perspective of it being at one end of the house tied to the
panel it's single point. It's single point from the perspective of not
having another ground rod on the other side of the house, not directly
connected to the one at the panel. But if you have a couple of ground
rods and and a water pipe going to a well connected together, I'd say each
of those is in fact a ground point that forms a single ground *system*.
If there is current in the ground system, some will flow at each of
those separate ground points. And the
way it was brought up here, kind of implied that connecting the well
pipe would be a violation. But CL never addressed that, which was the
actual question.

I dont think I have ever seen a well casing used as a ground, but it's
probably one of the best grounds someone could have. But it needs some
sort of attachment welded to the pipe to connect the wire, since most
casings are just plain pipe.

My well is a steel casing, but its not used as a ground. It's about 200
feet from my house, but near my garage, but the garage has no water
pipes. But all my pipes are underground poly-plastic, right up to the
house. Inside the house, the original pipes were copper and they were
grounded, but they are no longer used since I've changed to CPVC pipes.
And the drain pipes were always PVC. The remaining copper pipes which
froze one too many times before I lived here, still exist underneath the
house, so they are still grounded.