Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Questions about Wheel spacers for a truck

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 08:18:22 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 20:43:53 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 18:32:31 -0700, BobH
wrote:

A friend asked me about making spacers to make the front wheels on his
4wd pickup truck sit farther out. He is running non-standard, steel
wheels on the truck. The wheels are 8 lug, on a 6 1/4" bolt circle. The
lug nuts look like the standard lug nuts with the conical face toward
the wheel. Before diving into a project like this, a few questions came up:

How do steel wheels locate to the hub? Do they locate on the lug
bolt/nuts? Do they locate on the hub in the center of the bolt circle?

Would 6061 T6 be suitable for making a wheel spacer? The spacer will be
about 0.6 thick, and the lugs are long enough to pull up with plenty of
space.

Thanks in advance,
BobH

If it is a "sandwich" spacer with long studs, 6061T6 is plenty good
enough. The wheels are stud-centric, but having an accurate hub center
shure doesn't hurt - I'd make the spacer fit snugly on the exixting
axle stub, with an accurately centered stub on the spacer, with the
holes for the stud a snug fit over the studs - so the studs are
supported by the spacer, and the wheels centered by both studs and
wheel center.

+1. Especially for a truck, I'd want to have the extra strength from
that center support, rather than relying on only the stud strength,
when going through deep ruts with a full load in a 4WD scenario.

I've always been wary of those centerless, elongated-hole adapter
plates for aluminum mags.

They are fine for a show vehicle - not so good for a GO vehicle.