Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default PC and monitor standby power?

In message ,
writes
On Tuesday, 8 December 2015 14:47:39 UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 06:35:42 -0800, dr.s.lartius wrote:

A neighbour has a new-this-year UK-assembled generic Windows 7 PC, and a
decade-old flat-screen non-CRT Philips monitor from Denmark.

Nocturnally, these are turned off by closing Windows and by pressing the
little button on the lower front of the monitor.

What power, in watts, is each of these two devices each likely to be
drawing during the night?

If he's closing Windows, then he's switching the PC off. There'll be a
small draw, but it really will be absolutely minimal.

(1) Initial false assumption.
(2) It is that draw which I wish to know; I do not want its
significance evaluated.

Have a google for the monitor - the 8yo 24" Samsung flat on my desk is
reputedly 0.5w on standby.

Call it a watt for the pair. So 1,000hrs from 1kWh or, at 15p/kWh, about
2.5 days per penny.

(3) I asked "during the night" - but you have quoted the daytime rate.

Can anyone give actual answers (and no more) to the actual question?

Actual, as in what does that actual setup draw, no, for the reasons
already given.

But for the PC and monitor given, it's likely to be 'not a lot' to worry
about.

FWIW,

For this PC here, the important guts of which (PSU and mobo) - are
probably about 5 yo. The monitor is a no-name LCD about 8 yo.

On standby (as in with the PC asleep', rather than turned off) it the
combo draws 5W. With windows shutdown it draws 1W

The speakers however draw about 10W when left turned on, so the whole
kit and caboodle is on one of those standby switch things that powers
off the rest of the kit when the PC goes into standby/off
--
Chris French