Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Grounding wire for house. Is this right?

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 21:34:32 -0800 (PST), wrote:

My 1950s era house had a 100amp panel, with a grounding wire that ran to my well and was clamped to the well casing. I hired a licensed electrician to upgrade to 200amp panel. He also installed 2-3 ground rods outside the house and connected from the new panel to them, AS WELL AS running from the panel via a heavy wire (looks like #6 aluminum strand) clamped to the copper water pipe downstream of my pressure tank. Notice... he didn't connect to the well casing, but to the piping on the "house" side of the pressure tank, and the pressure tank is separated from the well casing by my pump and black rubber hose (i.e. no electrical continuity). And he left the original ground wire as-is on the well casing.

Never noticed all this until recently.
Is this correct?
Shouldn't there be a jumper cable to connect across the black rubber hose (from the copper pipes to the well casing?)

Just curious
Experienced advice appreciated.

Would you settle for inexperienced advice? He thought 2-3 (which is
it) ground rods were more than enough, and he only connected the wire
because he thought you'd want it (Had you said anything about it?) and
he didn't pay attention to where he put it, or he didn't care,
because he thought the ground rods were enough. Are they?

Thanks
Theodore.