Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

wrote:

Do these motors have the shorted winding? A
heavy, like 10 gauge maybe, bare copper loop near one of the corners
of the lamination stack, opposite the coil? If so then they are indeed
shaded pole motors.

Well, I don't remember! I had them out a couple months ago to get a quarter
out of the drain pump, and I kind of thought it had the pole shade winding,
but now I can't be sure. But, the pumps need to spin in the right
direction, and with only one winding, I can't imagine how it could start for
sure in the right direction wothout a shaded pole. Well, Likely I'll be
back into the thing for some issue or other in a while, and I'll take a
better look at them.

Jon