Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Karl, Leon, others: Advice for hanging cabinets wanted.

On 12/8/2015 12:56 PM, wrote:
You know, I hadn't thought about the difference. When I was framing houses we called anything that we built on site that closed the gap between the ceiling and a feature a "furrdown".

Interesting. Just never thought about it.

Heard the term "furrdown" all my life, but it can't be just a regional
thing because I get constant requests from purchasers (most from out of
state these last few years) of the thirty to fifty year old homes in
Texas, where kitchen "furrdowns" were common, on whether they can:

"... take the furrdowns out?"

Almost always one of the main topics on the initial meeting to discuss
what they want to do. Most of the time the answer is yes, although we do
see AC ducts run in furrdowns in some of the newer homes, post window AC
unit age.

I've been asked almost as much why the older Texas houses, especially
tract homes built in the 70's on up, seem to have them in the kitchens.

My standard response is:

Filling that last 12", between the 8' ceiling and the top of a 30" tall
wall cabinet, with sheetrock and tubafours is a whole lot cheaper than a
foot more of cabinet (and that may be difficult to reach in the first
place).

The old "don't put money where you can't see it/use it"?? ...

--
eWoodShop:
www.eWoodShop.com